News
But a user in China has reportedly claimed that their so-called ‘safe’ replacement has exploded.
Samsung this week said it has exchanged 57% of all the Galaxy Note 7s sold in Europe in line with its recall programme.
The Korean electronics giant has been replacing its flagship handset after reports emerged of devices catching on fire. The global recall is expected to cost Samsung upwards of $1 billion.
So far, 90% of Note 7 customers have chosen a like-for-like swap, while 3% chose an alternative Samsung Galaxy smartphone. Presumably the remaining 7% opted for a refund.
In a statement on Tuesday, Samsung reiterated that all Note 7 owners who have yet to receive a replacement should switch off their phone.
"Our message of safety first is getting through to Galaxy Note 7 owners who are doing the right thing by exchanging for a new device quickly and safely. We have worked hard to bring replacement Galaxy Note7 phones to Europe so we can ensure the safety of our customers and minimise their inconvenience," said David Lowes, chief marketing officer for Samsung Europe.
Samsung might not be out of the woods yet though.
Bloomberg reported on Tuesday that a Chinese man has claimed that a Note 7 that he bought after Samsung began its replacement programme has exploded less than 24 hours after taking delivery, causing minor injuries and damaging his Apple MacBook.
This could suggest that Samsung might be facing problems with its replacement devices.
Samsung said in the report that it has contacted the customer in order to obtain the Note 7 in question so that it can carry out a thorough examination of the device.










