Ixia, the network testing, visibility, and security vendor, has announced research findings which show that 5G will be adopted rapidly across the globe. The survey reveals that 96% of large technology companies plan to leverage 5G and that 83% will have 5G solutions deployed within the next 24 months.
Nearly every company surveyed plans to adopt 5G, with two out of three respondents evaluating 5G over the next year. Over a third (34%) of the organizations plan to release 5G technologies over the next 12 months, if they have not done so yet.
Key findings include:
– 96% of organizations plan to leverage 5G
– 67% of organizations have evaluated or will evaluate 5G technologies in the next 12 months
– 13% of respondents have already deployed 5G networks, while 34% will be publicly releasing 5G solutions in the next 12 months
– Top three drivers for 5G adoption are: flexible and scalable network (59%), customer demand (55%) and market leadership (46%)
– Top three industries driving 5G adoption are: telecom, tech, and financial services
– The key barriers to 5G adoption include: lack of standards, expertise, and resources
“Many industry analysts talk about 5G as if it is far in the future, but this study shows what we are seeing within Ixia, that 5G rollout and adoption is ramping much quicker than predictions,” said Kalyan Sundhar, Vice President, Mobility and Virtualization Products at Ixia. “5G testing tools can help organizations make 5G a success even before all of the standards are finalized. Developers can ensure their networks and applications are ready to take advantage of the speed and increased device connectivity promised by 5G.”
The survey also revealed why organizations want 5G: they are seeking speed, flexibility, and reliability resulting from 5G advancements. Over 45% of organizations are driven by first-to-market pressures to secure and satisfy customers, but they state that a lack of resources, expertise, and standards are hindering their developments, leading to nearly half of those surveyed to state they are not ready.
The survey, commissioned by Ixia and conducted by Dimensional Research, polled nearly 300 senior executives at enterprises and service providers worldwide with over 1,000 employees about their 5G technology adoption plans.